Woohoo! It's fall and I've got another item to cross off my Furniture Flip Bucket List! I know I shouldn't celebrate too much because I've only got 3 months left to finish the last 3 items, but I'm still gonna take moment to pat myself on the back.
Since debuting my list of new year's resolutions back in January, I've crossed off items No.6, No.5, and No. 7 and now No.4: Refinish a dresser in a velvety navy with gold hardware. (I know, I'm going in a weird order. If you're OCD-prone, then my apologies.) I really should have added refinish a campaign dresser to the list too because that's been a dream of mine too - so I'm crossing this one off as 2 personal wins:
So if you are so kind as to follow me on instagram, then you may recognize the original piece from this post:
Guys. This never happens when I go fishing for new projects but I actually scored this campaign-style dresser for free! When I see gorgeous potential on Craigslist free pages or for giveaway on a Facebook yard sale group I'm usually too late to nab it but this time I got lucky!!!! Project progress coming soon... #stylemuttprojects #campaignfurniture #furnitureflip #diy #canibringmyselftosellit #thriftscorethursday
I was lucky to nab it indeed! Although it wasn't a true campaign piece with flush recessed pulls and corner braces, I felt like it could still become one. I decided the best route to go would be adding my own braces but first I would have to remove the brass plates and over-sized stuck-on faux bolts. Prying up the brass strips was easy, but shortly after I got them off my project stalled out: I didn't realize that the brass was recessed so deeply into the wood piece between the drawers and I needed that piece to be flush in order to add T braces.
I stayed stumped for a good long while. I thought about replacing the two pieces of wood or filling the grove with a piece of wood veneer, but then I realized if I just flipped it around then I would have a flat surface to work with and wouldn't need to hunt down the perfectly sized replacement piece!
As you can see the recesses for the brass plates were quite pronounced. But the other side was as smooth as a baby's bottom so I flipped them over and wood-glued them back in place.
Then, I temporarily employed my T braces for some extra support while the glue dried for a few days.
I sanded the piece down and primed the flipped wood pieces to prep for paint. I chose a quart of Compass Blue by Behr Marquee and was DELIGHTED with the quality. The wet paint settled well without any paint strokes and the eggshell finish was just the right buttery texture I had wanted from my inspiration photo. I hardly need two coats so I have lots of paint left over to play with.
The flat corner and T braces I found in the hardware aisle at Home Depot but their zinc finish did not match the original aged brass pulls. Cue my next challenge.
I was going to have to refinish the hardware and still get an rich antiqued finish. First I primed the braces with flat black spray paint. This will 1) help the next layer of paint adhere to the metal and 2) create the first layer of dimension to the gold finish. Once the black dried, I applied the second layer of dimension: the gold. But since the shade of gold wasn't quite "brassy" enough to match the original pulls, I had to give the original pulls a fresh coat of gold so all the hardware would have the same shade.
Then I lightly sprayed both braces and pull again with a little bit of black for the third layer of dimension. The faint black over-spray gives more of an aged finish and is the third layer of dimension. The fourth and final layer is to rub each piece down with some dark wax. Then using some aged brass upholstery tacks, I nailed the freshly painted braces into place.
Voila! A match made in hardware heaven!
This bad boy is now in the garage shop!
Navy Campaign Dresser
32"W x 18"D x 44.5"H
If you are interested in this piece or a custom order like it, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.