When it comes to repairing old dressers, I’ve seen quite the spectrum of original conditions. Water damage, bent hardware, chunks missing, splitting veneer, broken legs, and even dog pee.
But this piece...
…this piece might take the cake.
The previous owners had been keeping it practically unsheltered in their carport for who knows how long. Exposed to the elements, every inch of the cherry veneer was clinging on for dear life. As soon as I touched it, the veneer started flaking off like bad dandruff. Poor thing. The state of this thing meant I couldn’t restore all of it back to its former glory. The drawer fronts, although in need of excessive touch-ups, were mostly salvageable. But the sides were an irrestorable tragedy that would have to succumb to a good coat of paint. But this meant I had a fun opportunity on my hands… a chance to play with color:
So if paint had to be on the agenda, I chose a sassy red-orange to play off the red cherry tones in the drawers.
The drawers had a lot of chipped veneer around the edges which I painstaking patched and painted to match by hand. Then I reoiled the wood to bring it back to health like a good moisturizer for cracked hands in winter.
The original wooden pulls were also too damaged to keep so I replaced them with brass whistle knobs that match the brass keyholes in the top drawers.
I was able to keep the original gold capped tapered legs however!
To style it, I used my painter’s pallet and the most exquisite golden foliage I could find.